May 3, 2012 - Pro Squash Tour announced shortly after midnight that Andres Vargas will replace Mohamed El Sherbini in the PST World Championships this weekend at the Detroit Athletic Club.
Sherbini withdrew late Tuesday night citing an injury sustained during last weekend's American Open. "I saw a note from him in middle of the night," said PST Commissioner Joe McManus. "First thing Wednesday morning, I invited South Africa's TG Raubenheimer who finished ninth in the standings. However, he was not able to change his schedule on such short notice.
"I then reached our #10 player Andres Vargas who immediately accepted the opportunity."
Vargas is a member of the Colombian National team. At last year's World Teams competition, he faced another member of this weekend's tournament. Vargas, competing at the #1 spot for Colombia, faced Australian #1 David Palmer. On that day, Palmer came out on top.
Vargas came to the United States to study at Trinity College, where he helped lead the team to four consecutive national team championships and earned first team All-American honors. He reached the semi-finals of the Albany Open and the Tuxedo Park Open this season. Vargas is currently on the coaching staff at Trinity College and will be returning in the same capacity in the coming season.
"Vargas is a world-class squash player," said McManus. "His coaching schedule prevented him from playing as many tournaments as he may have wished to this season. So his season points are not the best indicator of his current level."
Vargas will be seeded #8 and will face #1 seed Bradley Ball in the opening round on Friday night.
Match play begins Friday at 4:30 p.m. at the Detroit Athletic Club. For more information on the PST World Championships, please click here.